Will's Foods Pages

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

After the Holidays

So how are those New Year's Diet Resolutions working out for you?  I learned a long time ago that getting through the first couple of weeks is usually the toughest.  For example, do you really want to start that new diet on the 1st of January?  Really?  I for one prepare some pretty good meals on the 1st, usually including Black Eyed Peas and fresh bread.  Just doesn't seem right to deny yourself any of that.  And for many of us, there are events that last through the first couple of weeks of January where food is present in all sorts of appealing ways, so it just makes sense to start those diets sometime after.  So what are your thoughts on all of this?

Something you might want to consider, rather than searching for the elusive perfect diet, is a change of lifestyle.  I, for one, tend to enjoy the holidays, cooking, eating, and drinking pretty much everything I can get my hands on.  Embarrassing really.  I think I gained around 15 lbs. over November and December.  Of course, I haven't been working out, nor have I really watched my food intake over the last year.  But these are lifestyle changes I do intend to make.  Working out will be an important part of the agenda, as will paying a bit closer attention to what I put in my body.  Since I'm always testing recipes, it makes it a bit difficult to watch the food, but I tend to use natural and organic ingredients, so I can at least pay attention to the make up of the food that I ingest, as well as the amount.  I can stay away from desserts easily enough, though I like a small bite of chocolate a couple of times per week.  I've also never been one to drink soft drinks.  It's been something like 7 years since I've had a Coke or anything like that.  Water, coffee, tea, and the occasional juice are about all that I drink.  However, I won't deny myself the occasional glass of wine or craft beer.  Most sports drinks are loaded with High Fructose Corn Syrup, so I don't go after those.  I like Michael Pollan's tagline on his book, "In Defense of Food, an Eater's Manifesto".  "Eat Food.  Not too much.  Mostly Plants."  I'm sure I'll get arguments from all sorts of folks that say go Adkins, Dukan, Paleo, South Beach, etc., but in all reality, the key for losing fat (notice I didn't say weight) is a simple formula.  Burn more calories than you take in.  Most diets are restrictive and put too many guidelines on what you can and cannot eat.  That always bugs me.  I like to make and eat bread.  So do my kids.  Most diets would have you stay completely away from bread, but I make a pretty healthy and tasty multi-grain bread.  A slice from time to time is not going to destroy me.  I do tend to cook mostly lean meats and vegetables, so my family is getting all of the nutrients that are necessary to sustain ourselves (in the case of my wife and myself), or that are necessary to aid in the growth of my children.  Truthfully, life is too short to not enjoy well prepared and tasty food.  Unfortunately, it is also made much shorter if we enjoy too much tasty food.  As in everything, balance and moderation is the key.

My charge to all this new year is to eat good food, real food, nothing processed.  Don't eat more than you need, which in many cases is much less than 2000 calories per day.  Don't get obsessive with counting calories, but have an understanding of what is too much.  Drink really good wine and beer, but leave it to one drink a night, or less.  Do something active every single day, whether it is going for a walk, a run, lifting weights, doing yoga or Pilates, swimming, whatever.  Just burn a few extra calories every day.  Start slow if you are not in great shape.  It will get better over time.

I promise you that if you are honest with what you eat, and you stay active, you will be very happy with the results in 6 months or so.  It is a lifestyle change, so get to changing!

I can't leave you without at least one recipe to share. 

I have an easily prepared Chipotle Sauce that I use with lots of meats, including roasted and shredded chicken or smoked and shredded pork.  You can make a batch of the sauce and keep it in the fridge for various uses, and you can make up a batch of the sauced meat to also keep in the fridge for tacos, salads, to serve over rice, whatever you may want.  I'd like to see you experiment with it and come back to my blog and report on it.

Chipotle Sauce

3.5 oz can of chipotle in adobo sauce (I do make this from scratch from time to time, but it is a guilty pleasure to purchase the many different and very well made varieties you can find in the store)
5 or 6 cloves of garlic
28 oz can of whole peeled tomatoes
1 medium onion, cleaned and quartered
1 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tbsp canola or vegetable oil
1 tsp sugar (to cut the acid a bit)
Kosher or Sea Salt and Pepper to taste

Essentially I just blend all of this up in a blender and pour into a sauce pan to simmer and reduce until thick.  Easy enough to mix with shredded meats.  It is a spicy sauce, so start small and adjust to your own tolerance.

Enjoy!!!

2 comments:

  1. Diets are very personal. I think there are a lot of good plans out there and you just have to find one that fits your lifestyle enough that you can stick to it. I struggle with keeping exercise in my schedule. It seems to be the first thing I eliminate when things get too busy.

    Thanks for the recipe! What cut of pork would you recommend for shredding?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd use the shoulder as it has lots of collagen which tenderizes the meat when slow braising or smoking (low and slow). The tenderloin or centercut loins tend to not have enough marbling to tenderize the meat, so I'd stay away from them. One of the things you can do after slow braising a shoulder is to skim the large amount of fat out of the pot and save it in the fridge for use later. It is great for cooking and flavoring. Skimming will also make the main dish a bit lighter on the fat content and will reduce with the thickened Chipotle sauce much more effectively.

      Delete