Will's Foods Pages

Thursday, December 8, 2011

Plenty of time to do what you want - Pumpkin Bread!

Not really.  This weekend was the prime example.  Had quite a few things to prepare, both necessary and not, but ended up driving the kids to multiple functions, and not doing much of anything in the kitchen.  Made a nice pork, potato and hominy stew for dinner on Sunday night (great for a cold evening), but didn't get to make my pumpkin bread, which I'm going to do today, even if it slays me.  Also will start on my corn flour pie crusts, which I'll need to make a couple of different dishes for a catering job next week.  I'm going to serve Roasted and Shredded Chipotle Chicken in corn flour tarte shells topped with a cilantro/avocado cream, and a smoked ribeye and goat cheese empanada, both which use the same corn flour crust.  Should be pretty tasty.

I'll post images as they are completed next week.

So, I finally got to build my pumpkin bread.  One loaf went pretty fast, as my wife, daughter and myself devoured it.  It is a pretty simple recipe that I've developed from a traditional recipe with a few additions of my own.  My first try on pumpkin bread was a certified disaster because I added way too much pumpkin and not enough of everything else.  Looked OK after 2 hours in the oven, but was a dense pudding in the middle.  Gave me a good laugh and sent me back to the drawing board.  Don't be afraid to experiment!  It's fun, and will teach you to be a good cook.  You tend to find out what works well together, both from a taste standpoint, as well as a chemistry standpoint, which is all cooking really is (with a little artistic license thrown in for good measure).





Will's Ginger Spiced Pumpkin Bread

1 15 oz can of pureed pumpkin (you can use 2 cups of baked and shredded pumpkin as well)
3 cups of good organic sugar
4 eggs
1 tbsp Vanilla
1/2 cup melted butter
1/2 cup vegetable oil
3 1/2 cups organic white AP Flour
2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp ground allspice
1 tsp powdered ginger (if you really like the ginger taste, add a bit more)
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground clove
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 cup of pumpkin seeds

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a mixer, mix together the pumpkin and sugar and beat on low for about a minute or so.  Add the eggs, vanilla and oil and beat for another couple of minutes until all is well blended.

In a large bowl, sift together all of the dry ingredients.  Add about 1/3 of the dry mix to the pumpkin mix in the mixer and beat on low until combined each time.

Finally add the melted butter and mix on low until combined. 

Have two buttered loaf pans ready.  Evenly distribute the batter into both pans, top with pumpkin seeds, and place in oven.

Bake in a 350 degree oven for 1 1/2 hours, or until a thin knife comes out clean.  Let the loaves rest in the pans for 30 minutes or so, then un-mold and enjoy.

Let me know your experience with this recipe.  I also sell them for $10.00 per loaf.  Just give me a ring or send me an email with your request.  We also build a pretty tasty banana bread as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment